our journey together

our journey together

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How do we become confidently shy?

I feel like the shyness of God / the idea of a humble God is something of a beautiful ministry that brings me to a place of deep awe and worship.  I love the deep truth of a God whom I cannot fully understand (Trinity) who is in perfect oneness, in perfect harmony and perfectly other focused.  I love the analogy in, “The Shyness of God,” where the Spirit’s ministry as one at a blackboard pointing at the drawing of Jesus saying, “Look at him, listen to him, learn from him, follow him, worship him, be devoted to him, serve him, love him be preoccupied with him.”  As well the Son always in complete surrender to the Spirit and complete surrender to the Father Then when you take this idea of a God who is perfectly Three in One, in a perfect humble relationship with One Another, to this meek God who was willing to humble himself on behave of us lowly humans, it absolutely blows my mind!  Jesus is telling of this truth to his disciples in John 16:7, “It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you.  But if I go, I will send him to you.”  Jesus knows that his death will take away sin from anyone who puts their faith in him and receives this gift of forgiveness but forgiveness is a means to the end.  The ultimate reason Jesus died on the cross was to bring us back into relationship with Triune God, Father, Son (paid the price), and Spirit (leads us to that gift so that we may be reconciled).
So, the result of there being a humble God, is that I am able to be reconciled to God, and from this reconciliation I become so changed, so humbled, that I want to share this message of reconciliation with others  who do not have this joy (2 Cor. 5:16-6:2).  As well, from experiencing this humility in the person of Jesus Christ spurs me on to want become like Him (Philippians 2:3-8) and be humble with others around me.  As I experience becoming more and more like Jesus (my true identity), I am able to have the confidence and assurance to become appropriately shy.    What do I mean by shy?   The “shyness of deference, the shyness of a concentrated attention on another; it is not the shyness (which we often experience) of self-centeredness, but the shyness of an other-centeredness (The Shyness of God, John Ortberg).”

No comments:

Post a Comment